:: W4B photography's companion blog ::

:: W4B photography's companion blog ::


"I have been, and always shall be, your friend. Live long, and prosper... " - Spock

"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever." - Lance Armstrong
:: welcome to W4B photography's companion blog :: My Main Page ::: Visit My Flickr PhotoBlog ::: Gmail Me! ::
[::..Some Fav's..::]
Get Firefox!
:: Environment Canada London Weather
www.flickr.com
work4bandwidth's photos More of work4bandwidth's photos
:: LanceArmstrong.com
:: Team Discovery
:: LAF.org
:: ProCycling
:: Cycling News
:: TourDe France
:: Gmail
:: Google.ca
:: Google News
:: Google Maps
:: MapQuest
:: Maps of London
:: CNN
:: BBC News
:: Sympatico Email
:: Hotmail
:: Yahoo Mail
:: Technorati
:: DNS-411.com
::www.80211hotspots.com
:: ThinkGeek.com
Dilbert Blog
:: Wired
:: Globe Technology
:: Dictionary.com
:: BabelFish Translator
:: / .
:: The Iceberg
:: Seti
:: TPS
:: MBAjungle
:: London Movie Listings
:: Honda SUVs
:: CAA London
:: San Diego Marine Museum
:: I,Cringley
:: Ontario Lottery Info
:: Mars Rovers JPL
[::..Some Blogs I read..::]
:: Happiness is a Choice
:: WWDN
:: WWdN: In Exile
:: Daily Source Code
:: All things Christie
:: The Scobleizer Weblog
:: Written Inc.
:: Thomas Hawk's Digital Connection
:: Flickr Nation
:: Flickr Blog
:: Flickr: London, Ont
:: Tips From the Top Floor
:: The Torontoist
:: GTA Bloggers
:: attu
:: Phainomena
:: Persephone
:: C'est What?
:: Daily Dose of Imagery
:: Heather's Marketing at Microsoft
:: John Porcaro
:: Halley's Comment
:: Joi Ito
:: Addicted to Digital Media
:: The Scripting News
:: iPodder.org
:: Doc Searls Weblog
:: William Gibson's Blog
:: Bacon and Eh's
:: BWG
:: Tokyo Calling
:: Kevin Rose
:: Sarah. Word
:: Alex Albrecht
:: Engadget
:: A View From Elsewhere
:: Channel Nine
:: Occupational Adventure
:: Matt Goyer
:: Around My Room
:: Jeremy Zawodny
:: Micro Persuasion
:: eclecticism
:: Boing Boing
:: Meta-Filter
:: Mike's List
:: Princess Joanna's Kingdom
:: The K Man
:: InstaPundit
:: Mike's Journal
:: Corporate Engagement
[::..Some Things I use..::]
:: Canon Cameras
:: SanDisk
:: London Honda
:: Honda Canada
:: Nike
:: Power Bar
:: G-Shock
:: Cat Eye
:: Rocky Mountain
:: Trek
:: Creative
:: Samsung
:: Logitech
[::..Other Things..::]
Listed on BlogsCanada
Blogarama
Listed on Blogwise


Terror Alert Level
Site Meter
[::..archive..::]

:: Friday, October 15, 2004 ::

PVR
Home entertainment Geek Alert: Went to Roger's at Wellington and Commissioners here in London and rented a SA8000 PVR from them. didn't get to impress the sales person behind the counter. Was rather non-plussed at my questions. Think bored government worker at a UI or passport office. I knew the technobabble in my head would have been wasted so I signed on the dotted for 20$ month and brought the beast home. Simple set up. Like a VCR, except this one set it's own time. If my TV had an S-Video cable I would use that interface. I found I have a couple of them in my bag of cables I accumulated over the years in the trunk of my car from working for Rogers.

Straight forward coax cable-in cable-out hook up and within half an hour (which the instructions say you have to wait) I was looking at the preview channel. I poked around a bit, and when my thumbs found the buttons I needed and so on I was able to use the digital side of things pretty easy.

Now for the PVR side. It is very impressive. Digital clear recordings. Find something on the program guide, select it and you are done. Heck, record two things at the same time. And if you are watching a show it stores it in a buffer so that it and the balance of the show could be kept as a full recording - from the time you started to watch till the end -I tried it with ScreenSavers on Tech TV. Just hit record and on the menu screen it confirmed the program and that was it. No end time or anything. Great when heading out the door. First program recorded in an unattended let's see what happens fashion was Friends.

I later digitized (that's what I am trying out as a verb instead of 'taped') CSI and The Apprentice that were on at the same time. So far, quite impressed. I know it is simply in concept a better VCR, but I'd like to see a VCR pause a live program.

Carpe Diem

:: Mike Wood 01:23 [+] :: 0 comments
...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Since March 2003
FastCounter by bCentral
Google