:: W4B photography's companion blog ::

:: W4B photography's companion blog ::


"I have been, and always shall be, your friend. Live long, and prosper... " - Spock

"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever." - Lance Armstrong
:: welcome to W4B photography's companion blog :: My Main Page ::: Visit My Flickr PhotoBlog ::: Gmail Me! ::
[::..Some Fav's..::]
Get Firefox!
:: Environment Canada London Weather
www.flickr.com
work4bandwidth's photos More of work4bandwidth's photos
:: LanceArmstrong.com
:: Team Discovery
:: LAF.org
:: ProCycling
:: Cycling News
:: TourDe France
:: Gmail
:: Google.ca
:: Google News
:: Google Maps
:: MapQuest
:: Maps of London
:: CNN
:: BBC News
:: Sympatico Email
:: Hotmail
:: Yahoo Mail
:: Technorati
:: DNS-411.com
::www.80211hotspots.com
:: ThinkGeek.com
Dilbert Blog
:: Wired
:: Globe Technology
:: Dictionary.com
:: BabelFish Translator
:: / .
:: The Iceberg
:: Seti
:: TPS
:: MBAjungle
:: London Movie Listings
:: Honda SUVs
:: CAA London
:: San Diego Marine Museum
:: I,Cringley
:: Ontario Lottery Info
:: Mars Rovers JPL
[::..Some Blogs I read..::]
:: Happiness is a Choice
:: WWDN
:: WWdN: In Exile
:: Daily Source Code
:: All things Christie
:: The Scobleizer Weblog
:: Written Inc.
:: Thomas Hawk's Digital Connection
:: Flickr Nation
:: Flickr Blog
:: Flickr: London, Ont
:: Tips From the Top Floor
:: The Torontoist
:: GTA Bloggers
:: attu
:: Phainomena
:: Persephone
:: C'est What?
:: Daily Dose of Imagery
:: Heather's Marketing at Microsoft
:: John Porcaro
:: Halley's Comment
:: Joi Ito
:: Addicted to Digital Media
:: The Scripting News
:: iPodder.org
:: Doc Searls Weblog
:: William Gibson's Blog
:: Bacon and Eh's
:: BWG
:: Tokyo Calling
:: Kevin Rose
:: Sarah. Word
:: Alex Albrecht
:: Engadget
:: A View From Elsewhere
:: Channel Nine
:: Occupational Adventure
:: Matt Goyer
:: Around My Room
:: Jeremy Zawodny
:: Micro Persuasion
:: eclecticism
:: Boing Boing
:: Meta-Filter
:: Mike's List
:: Princess Joanna's Kingdom
:: The K Man
:: InstaPundit
:: Mike's Journal
:: Corporate Engagement
[::..Some Things I use..::]
:: Canon Cameras
:: SanDisk
:: London Honda
:: Honda Canada
:: Nike
:: Power Bar
:: G-Shock
:: Cat Eye
:: Rocky Mountain
:: Trek
:: Creative
:: Samsung
:: Logitech
[::..Other Things..::]
Listed on BlogsCanada
Blogarama
Listed on Blogwise


Terror Alert Level
Site Meter
[::..archive..::]

:: Thursday, December 29, 2005 ::


I know a whole week.
blogging: I know it has been a whole week since I posted. my bad. But in fairness I have been working the whole time with the exception of Christmas Eve.

I drove to Toronto on the 24th in the afternoon and had dinner with my brother's family. First time in a while I have had a family Christmas dinner. And first time ever with two children under the age of 4. I found it entertaining being the uncle and such and visiting for the day. I had wanted to take some pics of my neice and nephew, but only Jillian, pictured above, was in a cooperative mood. I was showing my brother how my camera works, and turns out he has a Canon Powershot, 3.2MP I think. I was explaining how you can change ISO, and shutter speeds and so on and my brother was clicking and pressing buttons on his camera and taking test pics. And when it came to us taking a pic of the kids under the tree the Powershot wouldn't take pics anymore. :) I reset it as much as I could, but didn't see a restore to factory defaults button. It took pics after that, but I thought I was in the dog house for encouraging him to do that. heheh.

After the kids were finally in bed - that part I recall from Morgan's kids on Christmas eve - we were able to chat and such without constant interuptions of one sort or another. Murray's long time friend Dave and his girlfriend were over at that point and we chatted and snacked on some excellent President's Choice hors d'oeuvres until around 1130 or so. Most of that time me in an Ikea chair with a cat named Ohio on my lap.

Driving home there were no weather issues. But on the QEW near Missisauga line, I saw two cars and then a third shoot past me in the outside lane and then weave in and out of the traffic across three or four lanes easily doing 160. Flow of traffic was the usual 120 or so and they were out of sight in seconds. I called 911 and spoke to the OPP dispatch and told them what I had observed. I doubt they were caught as they could have been off any one of a half dozen exits even before I gave the description. There is speeding and then there is speeding. And this would have been like one of those Worst Police Chases videos you see on tv for all of it's danger. And none had a red nose and none were sleighs. :)

I was still on the 403 when it turned into Christmas morning and I said a brief 'hey' to my mom who passed away Christmas morning of '98. This time of year I think of her and my dad frequently. Now they are not around, and not having a family I prefer to not do the Christmas thing. I went into the whole thing last year in depth and so I won't do it again, but Christmas is just another day to work for me.

I spent some non work time time editing pictures of the Scarlet Sins and the whole lot are on Flickr now. Over the two shows, I have 26 good pics. And finally some really good ones of Karli - the drummer.

I also watched a couple of really good CBC News programs. The Queen's Castle - about Winsdor Castle - which I had seen parts of before. I could spend days there shooting pics when there are events on, or even when there are not. And a Passionate Eye on war/combat phototographers which was intense. It was interviews with at least a dozen photogs from Reuters, AP, VII and a bunch of others who have seen some of the worst humality has to offer and lived (sometimes only just) to tell about it. Some of the photos were insane in their power to move. I am pretty sure I wouldn't want to go to Chechnia and be shot at by direct Russian tank fire, or watch rebels in central Africa use a prisoner's decapitated head as a soccer ball, or see babies mutated by agent orange usage in south East Asia, but the images they pass on to us and the stories they tell are important ones.

Louise at work brought in for me a coffee table book called John Lennon: The New York Years by photog John Gruen. It is made up of shots of John and Yoko taken in their New York neighbourhood in the 1970s. Incredible access. There are some awesome photos in this book. Even if you just want to learn how to photograph couples and just people casually doing their thing, this is a good study book. And the fact that it has an interesting subject matter makes it all the better. I might pick it up one of these days.

Lastly, I have been trying to figure out how I can get to do some more band photography. Access is the key and I am hoping I can get a breakthrough. Snowball's chance stuff, but who knows. I have found that 'Nothing ventured, nothing gained' is as good a saying as Carpe Diem. And the photos of the Scarlet Sins sure make nice calling cards.

Edit: Oh and one last thing. Turns out I have New Year's day off as well and NY Eve. I didn't recall booking it off, so now I have four in a row. Longest time off since my Newfoundland trip. And since I didn't recall that, I have no plans. Could have done something with it, but a little last minute and no one to do it with either. ah well. Time off is still time off. :)

Carpe Diem

:: Mike Wood 12:27 [+] :: 0 comments
...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Since March 2003
FastCounter by bCentral
Google