:: W4B photography's companion blog ::

:: W4B photography's companion blog ::


"I have been, and always shall be, your friend. Live long, and prosper... " - Spock

"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever." - Lance Armstrong
:: welcome to W4B photography's companion blog :: My Main Page ::: Visit My Flickr PhotoBlog ::: Gmail Me! ::
[::..Some Fav's..::]
Get Firefox!
:: Environment Canada London Weather
www.flickr.com
work4bandwidth's photos More of work4bandwidth's photos
:: LanceArmstrong.com
:: Team Discovery
:: LAF.org
:: ProCycling
:: Cycling News
:: TourDe France
:: Gmail
:: Google.ca
:: Google News
:: Google Maps
:: MapQuest
:: Maps of London
:: CNN
:: BBC News
:: Sympatico Email
:: Hotmail
:: Yahoo Mail
:: Technorati
:: DNS-411.com
::www.80211hotspots.com
:: ThinkGeek.com
Dilbert Blog
:: Wired
:: Globe Technology
:: Dictionary.com
:: BabelFish Translator
:: / .
:: The Iceberg
:: Seti
:: TPS
:: MBAjungle
:: London Movie Listings
:: Honda SUVs
:: CAA London
:: San Diego Marine Museum
:: I,Cringley
:: Ontario Lottery Info
:: Mars Rovers JPL
[::..Some Blogs I read..::]
:: Happiness is a Choice
:: WWDN
:: WWdN: In Exile
:: Daily Source Code
:: All things Christie
:: The Scobleizer Weblog
:: Written Inc.
:: Thomas Hawk's Digital Connection
:: Flickr Nation
:: Flickr Blog
:: Flickr: London, Ont
:: Tips From the Top Floor
:: The Torontoist
:: GTA Bloggers
:: attu
:: Phainomena
:: Persephone
:: C'est What?
:: Daily Dose of Imagery
:: Heather's Marketing at Microsoft
:: John Porcaro
:: Halley's Comment
:: Joi Ito
:: Addicted to Digital Media
:: The Scripting News
:: iPodder.org
:: Doc Searls Weblog
:: William Gibson's Blog
:: Bacon and Eh's
:: BWG
:: Tokyo Calling
:: Kevin Rose
:: Sarah. Word
:: Alex Albrecht
:: Engadget
:: A View From Elsewhere
:: Channel Nine
:: Occupational Adventure
:: Matt Goyer
:: Around My Room
:: Jeremy Zawodny
:: Micro Persuasion
:: eclecticism
:: Boing Boing
:: Meta-Filter
:: Mike's List
:: Princess Joanna's Kingdom
:: The K Man
:: InstaPundit
:: Mike's Journal
:: Corporate Engagement
[::..Some Things I use..::]
:: Canon Cameras
:: SanDisk
:: London Honda
:: Honda Canada
:: Nike
:: Power Bar
:: G-Shock
:: Cat Eye
:: Rocky Mountain
:: Trek
:: Creative
:: Samsung
:: Logitech
[::..Other Things..::]
Listed on BlogsCanada
Blogarama
Listed on Blogwise


Terror Alert Level
Site Meter
[::..archive..::]

:: Sunday, January 08, 2006 ::

Myspace. the new crack
blogging: Myspace, the friends and networking community online seems to have sucked me in. It is primarily aimed at teens and 20somethings, but it is a great location to do some informal networking. It is fairly arts oriented - lots of indie and mainstream bands have presences on myspace for instance. As I mentioned on the 30th of December, I created a site there and Myspace is a closed community when it comes to commenting on content, viewing some content, and posting messages. The owner of the site has to "Add" you before you can interact with the site other than just read. cuts down on comment spam.

It reminds me of the early days of the web in some respects, because you can edit your site template and make some gawd awful designs and garish colours and backgrounds and multiple fonts and clashing elements and streaming video and audio on by default ( till I found the option to turn it off in my profile, well I could go on. Some people seem interesting, but their sites are just too damn painful to read and look through. When the web was new this was commonplace. Going from text only to graphics made people OD. This has a similar feel. I might be making it out to be a hellish place, but it isn't really. It is low rent for sure and that is probably why I like it. :)

I only had a couple of people in my group initially, then started to search around and found that there were a few people at work, and then some photographers, and the Scarlet Sins, and Repair, and so on. I feel fake just sending 'Add requests' to people 'just because'. I am sure that there is already too much of that crap going on, but I did do it to a few people whom I found interesting and they added me. I even struck up an MSN conversation or two with someone who seems pretty cool and lives in the London area. And found someone else in London that Steph knows. Small world.

And then I discovered they have groups similar to newsgroups. So I subscribed to a few photography ones and started reading and posting to them. Then found there was one for photographers and models to let the world know they were there and looking for work. And I am the only one in Ontario in it - or will be when I finish crafting my calling card message. And curiously there is only one woman listed as a model in Ontario (Ottawa). And then I found a modelling site called one model place where photographers and models can list and locate each other.

Needless to say I have been completely sucked in by all of this over the last couple of days. I thought of posting about the Microsoft virus and then subsequent patch but that is now history. Or Gates doing his keynote at CES about Windows Vista. Or that I found this LED light that would be retarded to wear in the day but would kick ass if camping or needing light at night - say for fixing a flat tire.

I completed the editing of the pics for JJ and Sarah which they want to use as an insert in their wedding invites and mailed them off too. Took a few hours as I was distracted by the 5-0 drubbing we gave the Russians in the hockey on Thursday. I'll post a couple in the next while. And since I have not had any other modelling opportunities recently, I decided to post a retrospective of sorts. One pic each of Mandy, Amanda, Kelly and Dawn from their sessions in the late summer and fall. Going through the shots in their folders looking for new ones, I realized how much I have changed in terms of my eye for detail. Things in the images I didn't pic up on before are now catching my interest. And good pics are not so good as I see subtle flaws to be corrected or disgarded.

And for those keeping score, Mandy wins the views tally. Her 15 pics have been viewed over 5700 times since they were first posted in November! The Scarlet Sins come next with about 4500 hits in December alone. Not bad, eh? :)

And this blog has still to hit 30,000 hits. Flickr keeps chugging along at nearly 34,500 as of a little while ago. When they hit 50,000 each that will be cool. :)

I might set up my own photo site before the winter is out. Not abandon Flickr, just have a more pro presence on the internet. I might get someone to code it for me in exchange for some portraits. Soon I need to set up a set on Flickr of the best of the best. It is getting too big to just sift through. Use it as a starting point for sorting pics as well. I can certainly do it by views or favourites. And my personal favs too. Might take some time to build that set.

During the week, I managed to get a cold, and beat a cold, and move on from that. Mind over matter. Just a simple little Jedi mind trick and two days later it was done - "these are not the cold viruses I am looking for..." :)

Watched Ali with Wil Smith the other night as well. Good show that. Interesting biopic. Not sure how much is accurate, but I began to beleive he was Ali. And to give him credit, I never once thought of the Fresh Prince during the show. Not till writing this anyway. :)

Later everyone. Going to catch up on some of Carmi's blog which I have been neglecting for the past few weeks.


** excuse any spelling and inconsistencies. It's late. I might clean them up tomorrow depending how much I groan when I see them.


Carpe Diem

:: Mike Wood 02:02 [+] :: 0 comments
...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Since March 2003
FastCounter by bCentral
Google