:: W4B photography's companion blog ::

:: W4B photography's companion blog ::


"I have been, and always shall be, your friend. Live long, and prosper... " - Spock

"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever." - Lance Armstrong
:: welcome to W4B photography's companion blog :: My Main Page ::: Visit My Flickr PhotoBlog ::: Gmail Me! ::
[::..Some Fav's..::]
Get Firefox!
:: Environment Canada London Weather
www.flickr.com
work4bandwidth's photos More of work4bandwidth's photos
:: LanceArmstrong.com
:: Team Discovery
:: LAF.org
:: ProCycling
:: Cycling News
:: TourDe France
:: Gmail
:: Google.ca
:: Google News
:: Google Maps
:: MapQuest
:: Maps of London
:: CNN
:: BBC News
:: Sympatico Email
:: Hotmail
:: Yahoo Mail
:: Technorati
:: DNS-411.com
::www.80211hotspots.com
:: ThinkGeek.com
Dilbert Blog
:: Wired
:: Globe Technology
:: Dictionary.com
:: BabelFish Translator
:: / .
:: The Iceberg
:: Seti
:: TPS
:: MBAjungle
:: London Movie Listings
:: Honda SUVs
:: CAA London
:: San Diego Marine Museum
:: I,Cringley
:: Ontario Lottery Info
:: Mars Rovers JPL
[::..Some Blogs I read..::]
:: Happiness is a Choice
:: WWDN
:: WWdN: In Exile
:: Daily Source Code
:: All things Christie
:: The Scobleizer Weblog
:: Written Inc.
:: Thomas Hawk's Digital Connection
:: Flickr Nation
:: Flickr Blog
:: Flickr: London, Ont
:: Tips From the Top Floor
:: The Torontoist
:: GTA Bloggers
:: attu
:: Phainomena
:: Persephone
:: C'est What?
:: Daily Dose of Imagery
:: Heather's Marketing at Microsoft
:: John Porcaro
:: Halley's Comment
:: Joi Ito
:: Addicted to Digital Media
:: The Scripting News
:: iPodder.org
:: Doc Searls Weblog
:: William Gibson's Blog
:: Bacon and Eh's
:: BWG
:: Tokyo Calling
:: Kevin Rose
:: Sarah. Word
:: Alex Albrecht
:: Engadget
:: A View From Elsewhere
:: Channel Nine
:: Occupational Adventure
:: Matt Goyer
:: Around My Room
:: Jeremy Zawodny
:: Micro Persuasion
:: eclecticism
:: Boing Boing
:: Meta-Filter
:: Mike's List
:: Princess Joanna's Kingdom
:: The K Man
:: InstaPundit
:: Mike's Journal
:: Corporate Engagement
[::..Some Things I use..::]
:: Canon Cameras
:: SanDisk
:: London Honda
:: Honda Canada
:: Nike
:: Power Bar
:: G-Shock
:: Cat Eye
:: Rocky Mountain
:: Trek
:: Creative
:: Samsung
:: Logitech
[::..Other Things..::]
Listed on BlogsCanada
Blogarama
Listed on Blogwise


Terror Alert Level
Site Meter
[::..archive..::]

:: Saturday, October 21, 2006 ::

CRV in Mackinaw city MI

Home again.

I have to day that it is good to be back. I got in before dark yesterday after driving from Saginaw over to Port Sanilac, then south a touch to Point Edward/Port Huron and across the bridge again to Canada. I can honestly say that aside from some small criss crossing in towns here n there, there was no backtracking or covering the same stretch of highway twice in my trip. Even the Bluewater bridge technically as the East and Westbound bridges are in fact two different bridges. :)

The drive from Saginaw was fairly quick I suppose. I stopped at this little hole in the wall truck stop on Sanilac rd / hwy 46 at Van Dyke rd. At least looking at the Googlemaps satellite view it seems that way. anyhow. Since I have this knack of sleeping in or perhaps better put, staying up late, I always miss the breakfast in the hotels. And in Saginaw, the Comfort Suites only serves it till 9am. I mean really. That's damn early. So as a result, aside from a XL coffee from they Meijer's gas station I was running on empty. So the chicken salad sandwich - on Wonderbread I think - was the best damn sandwich ever! Washed down with OJ it was the last thing I had in the US before hitting the border. Oh one thing. I bought some crystal light flavours. A lemonade one and an orange juice. Lemonade: awesome! Orange: kinda Tang like n would pass on it.

I headed down 46 to hit Port Sanilac - and to avoid doing 69 again (nope. too easy leaving that alone). Sanilac - which is on Lake Huron just a bit North of the bridge, has a lighthouse which looked promising. And was right down on the water in town so quite easy to find.

Lighthouse: Port Sanilac, MI

After shooting some pics of it ( I went out onto the large breakwater surrounding the marina/ harbour to do this shot) I bee lined for the border. I encountered more construction here n there which was part n parcel for the whole trip really. It's not just Ontario that tries to get everything done before winter apparently. :)

Crossing the bridge was fairly OK as crossings go. I chatted with the CDN border guy and he asked if I had anything to declare and I said no - other than wanting some Timmies and shaking my empty travel mug. He chuckled and waved me through without even asking to see ID. I guess that, and the Canadian flag on the window mounted post gave me away, eh? :)

I stopped in Sarnia and met up with Miranda (for the first time) to stretch my legs. We chatted as we walked about Canatara Park for a while. The place certainly has some photo potential and would be worth a return visit. Even in Winter it could be quite good.

Timmies (Godsend!) and I was on my way again. I rummaged around and found my Ontario map and debated getting on the 402 again back to London, but decided I would go out of Sarnia on Michigan road heading East. It, after a couple of slight dog legs turns into Egremont and then Fanshawe Park Road. Straight line in. Not the fastest way, but I was going to get off the 402 at Strathroy n go in to London that way as I am on the top edge of the city so why not?

All in all, 1871km door to door. I think I filled up on gas 5 times. At least two were partials as I didn't want to risk being on empty on a rainy stretch of no where. Most interesting bit? Not sure if there was one. You could say an unremarkable vacation aside from being away. Which means, of course that the next one is going to be really good. Maybe this time I will go out to the Rockies. Or Monument Valley, or back to Newfoundland. Maybe drive the length of the Mississipi. Who knows. :)

OK back to work work on Monday and back to groceries n laundry n such now.



Carpe Diem

:: Mike Wood 12:27 [+] :: 2 comments
...

2 Comments:

You can practically feel the mood of that lighthouse shot. I love sombre, reflective images of scenes that likely haven't changed in decades.

I'll disagree with you, Mike: hardly unremarkable at all. Your captures from this trip reflect a vision that is uniquely yours. Wherever you go on your next promenade, I'm sure the results will be even more compelling for the viewer.

By Blogger carmilevy, at 1:03 PM  

thanks Carmi. :) I do what I can. hopefully there will be more photo ops next time. :)

By Blogger Mike Wood, at 8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Since March 2003
FastCounter by bCentral
Google