:: W4B photography's companion blog ::

:: W4B photography's companion blog ::


"I have been, and always shall be, your friend. Live long, and prosper... " - Spock

"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever." - Lance Armstrong
:: welcome to W4B photography's companion blog :: My Main Page ::: Visit My Flickr PhotoBlog ::: Gmail Me! ::
[::..Some Fav's..::]
Get Firefox!
:: Environment Canada London Weather
www.flickr.com
work4bandwidth's photos More of work4bandwidth's photos
:: LanceArmstrong.com
:: Team Discovery
:: LAF.org
:: ProCycling
:: Cycling News
:: TourDe France
:: Gmail
:: Google.ca
:: Google News
:: Google Maps
:: MapQuest
:: Maps of London
:: CNN
:: BBC News
:: Sympatico Email
:: Hotmail
:: Yahoo Mail
:: Technorati
:: DNS-411.com
::www.80211hotspots.com
:: ThinkGeek.com
Dilbert Blog
:: Wired
:: Globe Technology
:: Dictionary.com
:: BabelFish Translator
:: / .
:: The Iceberg
:: Seti
:: TPS
:: MBAjungle
:: London Movie Listings
:: Honda SUVs
:: CAA London
:: San Diego Marine Museum
:: I,Cringley
:: Ontario Lottery Info
:: Mars Rovers JPL
[::..Some Blogs I read..::]
:: Happiness is a Choice
:: WWDN
:: WWdN: In Exile
:: Daily Source Code
:: All things Christie
:: The Scobleizer Weblog
:: Written Inc.
:: Thomas Hawk's Digital Connection
:: Flickr Nation
:: Flickr Blog
:: Flickr: London, Ont
:: Tips From the Top Floor
:: The Torontoist
:: GTA Bloggers
:: attu
:: Phainomena
:: Persephone
:: C'est What?
:: Daily Dose of Imagery
:: Heather's Marketing at Microsoft
:: John Porcaro
:: Halley's Comment
:: Joi Ito
:: Addicted to Digital Media
:: The Scripting News
:: iPodder.org
:: Doc Searls Weblog
:: William Gibson's Blog
:: Bacon and Eh's
:: BWG
:: Tokyo Calling
:: Kevin Rose
:: Sarah. Word
:: Alex Albrecht
:: Engadget
:: A View From Elsewhere
:: Channel Nine
:: Occupational Adventure
:: Matt Goyer
:: Around My Room
:: Jeremy Zawodny
:: Micro Persuasion
:: eclecticism
:: Boing Boing
:: Meta-Filter
:: Mike's List
:: Princess Joanna's Kingdom
:: The K Man
:: InstaPundit
:: Mike's Journal
:: Corporate Engagement
[::..Some Things I use..::]
:: Canon Cameras
:: SanDisk
:: London Honda
:: Honda Canada
:: Nike
:: Power Bar
:: G-Shock
:: Cat Eye
:: Rocky Mountain
:: Trek
:: Creative
:: Samsung
:: Logitech
[::..Other Things..::]
Listed on BlogsCanada
Blogarama
Listed on Blogwise


Terror Alert Level
Site Meter
[::..archive..::]

:: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 ::

Vacation: Mackinaw City MI
** There is no Lat Longitude currently as I am sitting in the lobby w/o the GPS running**

I left Holland MI about 11am or so and headed south slightly to Douglas/Saugatauk. there is an old great lakes passenger ferry there. And go figure it was closed for the season. I got some shots of the exterior which was quite cool, but not exactly what I was hoping for.

I headed back up to Holland up the HWY 31 and checked out the huge dutch windmill there. that too was closed for the season (sensing a trend here folks?) but this time I decided to drive in the "staff only" entrance to the Windmill Island and check it out. I got some good shots, but they are still on the camera in the room... I also kept running into this very attractive jogger with her dog. She was blond and wearing michigan state sweats. All I could think was that she would be a good model. :) But I let her be and went on my way.

The mission today was to simply head North on the west side of Michigan, stopping here n there for photos. And I accomplished this for the most part, but the drab weather made getting fall colour shots pointless.

My next stop (I had a banana for breakfast) was to go to the USS Silversides. A WWII pac fleet deisel sub part of the pacific Great lakes naval museum in Muskegon. Was pretty cool. I got some exterior shots of it from the dock and a hedgehog launcher (something pretty much only my brother would like).

I had intended on dropping in at a couple of other places but I found that the distance geography was not in my favour and I underestimated how long detours were going to take. So I pressed on and stopped next (insert a couple of leg stretches n pee breaks due to bad coffee) in Frankfort, waaay up the coast. No wait, I did stop briefly somewhere else first in Manistee where there was a cool semi abandoned roll on rail ferry of some sort - also closed for the season ...

Anyhow, near frankfort, there was supposed to be this lighthouse. And after a drive through some dunes I came across a mid 1940s looking building with functioning lighthouse. I got some shots and then beat feet as the rain was coming in... It held off for a bit, long enough to have the most enjoyable drive around Crystal Lake. windy roads, nice looking cottages and so on. Great fall colours too - except for the overcast would be great for pics...

I stopped in Traverse City (they name a lot of places here with city...) and ate some extra greasy Wendy's and fired up the GPS... It was going to be dark well before I got to the hotel and I figured having a co pilot would be beneficial. Not half way out of the city did it start raining. And traffic slowed to a stop. Literally. I called AW on the phone and chatted with her for a bit on a crap connection. Call back was much better. I think that the 50 mile conversation is going to be a pretty penny when I get back, but having the company during the slow traffic and after as I made my way North was good. Made the day infact.

I get to the Comfort Inn Lakeside in Mackninac City (yep another City) around 930. check in to the swank room with a beach access balcony and a huge hot tub and fire up the wifi. Except the signal is so piss poor that it is barely in the yellow. 1megabit if i was lucky. tracerouting out proved it was ok, it was just not even good enough to check my email without it dropping. So here I sit in the hotel lobby. In the interim - it is about 1130pm, I watched CSI NY which had a suicide girls themed episode with a couple of real SG's I recognized - Nixon for one. Was cool. :)

Anyhow, I am going to take the laptop back to the dead zone and look into moving some pics. I might do this again in the morning briefly to check email and so on, but it is a touch of a nuisance.

Plan for tomorrow is to drive south down the Lake Huron side after checking out the area. the bridge is huuuuge!!! though I bet if I shoot pics the DHS folks will be on my ass.

Mike

Carpe Diem

:: Mike Wood 23:27 [+] :: 0 comments
...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Since March 2003
FastCounter by bCentral
Google